Thursday, May 17, 2007

A quick note

I'm a procrastinator by nature, but that doesn't change the fact that I was getting around to today's entry very soon; but then a friend I was seeing tonight called and pushed things forward as she's got a cold and teaches school early in the morning, so I must get to that. She goes to bed early enough that I'll be back and updating before the end of the day, though, and I had a few things to note anyways.

You'll see that at the side we have a number of new band blogs, courtesy of Matthew's latest post at Fluxblog; thanks very much to him for including TMW,TMW in his listing, and 'hi' to anyone coming here from there - this is a horrible day not to have something more substantial greeting you, but hopefully the last three will whet your appetite.

Even nicer is Tom Ewing's survey of the phenomenon at the mighty, grandaddy-of-us-all (and I mean that in the best possible sense) Freaky Trigger; I'm flattered that he finds my "chatty honesty" endearing, and even more so that he likes it enough he wishes I was doing another band. The concerns he raises, both about TMW,TMW and these blogs in general, are very valid; in my case, all I can say is that the length of this thing was definitely a consideration from the start, and while I didn't want to make myself miserable by rationing the good stuff for later, I also have a lot more to say. And in at least one case, the things he mentions me "covering" are far from over; believe me, the topic of religion will be raised again. And there are songs/topics I'm saving for when I need to get my second wind. So 'hi' to the people that wander here from there too; I hope you'll stick around.

Today it occurred to me that if I had thought about it and tried to go for a band I felt less unambiguously positive about, one with fewer songs (I think), I could have done worse than to do Belle & Sebastian, especially since their last album sucked. I'm not switching horses, and I'm plenty happy with my choices, but someone should get on that, eh? And if they do, I'll swap them a guest post here on the song of their choosing for the chance to do "This Is Just a Modern Rock Song."

I thought I had written a Seconds at Stylus on "Don't Understand," which I was going to link to tide the hungry over until tonight, but I don't see it. I guess it was from my old, defunct blog (the hosting service went kaput). I'll have to dig it out soon and see if it was any good.

Ta for now.